Doug TenNapel recently launched an IndieGoGo campaign for Earthworm Jim: Launch the Cow and it has already raised over 100k in less than 24 hours.
TenNapel launched the IndieGoGo around 12:00 PM ET on May 13th and as of this writing the IndieGoGo campaign has already raised $107,454 from 1,074 backers.
— Doug TenNapel (@DougTenNapel) May 13, 2019
TenNapel, the creator of Earthworm Jim, reveals this “first book will be on how Jim became Jim!” It will answer the questions, “Who made the super suit? Why is he launching cows?!” He elaborates, “It documents the origins of the super suit and how it got to earth to make our favorite hero. You’ll see some familiar characters ripped straight out of the video game like: Peter Puppy, Princess What’s-Her-Name, Psycrow, the hideous Professor Monkey for a Head, Queen Slug-for-a-Butt and Evil the Cat!”
TenNapel makes it clear he doesn’t intend to take the book to stores, and will not be offering digital downloads.
“The book will start as a handsome hardbound edition, oversized at 9″ x 12″ and 160 pages long!”
He adds, “I don’t see comics as disposable rags made to read once then toss aside. I spend a lot of time writing and story and crafting every page and merely reading some thin floppy or a PDF isn’t the experience I’m going for. This book will be something you can enjoy for a lifetime, it’s literature, not pop-garbage and I want to stand on the tip-toes of my ability to reach for the highest possible craft I can accomplish!”
He continues, “Only through Indiegogo will you find foil-stamped gold cover art, UV gloss coatings, embossing and de-bossing! I hope to explore new printing techniques that make these hard bound books the kind of items you show off to your friends with a durability that ensures a great re-read for the rest of your life!”
Making Of The Earthworm Jim Book
Not only is he offering the hardcover Earthworm Jim: Launch The Cow, but backers can also get the “Making Of The Earthworm Jim Book.” This book will also be hardbound. It is 64 pages long and 9″ x 12″. The book will include a “comprehensive backstory on all of the main characters and villains.” He also explains the book will “give you the why behind the entire Earthworm Jim universe… and yes, I’m building a universe!”
The book will also include interviews from the Earthworm Jim game team. It will also include a step by step production process on the making of Earthworm Jim: Launch The Cow. It will include “raw ideas on the white board to printing every notecard I used in breaking down the story. You’ll see the raw pencilled pages, inked pages with washes applied and I even scan my script pages that are covered in pencil re-writes!
It will also a feature a cover by Mike Koelsch who designed the art for the Earthworm Jim Sega Genesis game.
- $25 gets you the Earthworm Jim: Launch The Cow book.
- $50 gets you the Earthworm Jim: Launch The Cow book and the Making Of The Earthworm Jim book.
- $100 gets you two Earthworm Jim: Launch The Cow books and two Making Of The Earthworm Jim books.
- $150 gets you a signed Earthworm Jim: Launch The Cow book, The Making of The Earthworm Jim book, three high quality framable prints, and an original Earthworm Jim headsketch that will be drawn on the front page of the book.
- $240 gets you a signed Earthworm Jim: Launch The Cow book and three high quality prints. For each purchase of this tier, Doug TenNapel will send 10 books to Beale Air Force Base
- $450 gets you 10 Earthworm Jim: Launch The Cow books and 10 Making Of The Earthworm Jim books.
- $950 gets you an original 11″ x 17″ ink and ink-wash on paper signed page of the book. You also get a signed Earthworm Jim: Launch The Cow book, the Making Of, three prints, a signed headsketch, and your name in the book.
- $7000 gets you the original cover art for Earthworm Jim: Launch The Cow as well as the the interior title page. You also get a signed book, three high quality prints, an original 11 x 17 page, 10 books and 10 Making Of books. Plus your name in the book
- $10,000 gets you the original Mike Koelsch cover for the Making Of book. You also get three high quality prints, 10 books, 10 Making Of books, an original comic book page, a signed headsketch, and your name in the book.
Doug TenNapel’s new Earthworm Jim: Launch The Cow IndieGoGo comes shortly after the news that the Earthworm Jim video game was being revitalized to celebrate its 25th anniversary.
What do you make of the success of Doug TenNapel’s Earthworm Jim IndieGoGo? Do you plan on backing the project?