A new set of leaks has alleged that Capcom is currently developing Resident Evil 8, providing the first details of the potentially upcoming game.
The leaks were first reported by Resident Evil fan site and news source Biohazard Declassified, who state that the detailed rumor was submitted to their public tip line. Accordingly, the site’s report features a prominent disclaimer proclaiming “The Biohazard Declassified staff have no confirmation of any of this information. We are solely presenting it as what it is, a rumor.”
The alleged source provided Biohazard Declassified with several tips, including confirmation that Resident Evil 7 protagonist Ethan Winters will return as a playable character, a new werewolf-type enemy will be introduced, and that Chris Redfield would once again be making an appearance:
- Ethan will be returning as a playable character.
- Resident Evil 8 was tested last year.
- It will not be called Resident Evil 8, but will have a “clever title.”
- The game will be in First-person like RE7.
- Gameplay starts in a village leading up to a castle.
- The environment will be rural, snowy, and mountainous; possibly Europe.
- Regular zombies will be appearing instead of the Molded from RE7.
- There is a persistent shadowy “female” enemy that will follow you but will dissipate if shot.
- There are also wolf-like creatures that will attack the player in certain areas.
- Chris Redfield will also be returning in some capacity.
If these leaks are to be believed, it appears that Capcom will continue taking the series in the first-person direction first established in Resident Evil 7.
The return of regular zombies, as well as Chris Redfield’s return following the revelation of his membership in Blue Umbrella, may indicate that the series will be returning to the biochemical weapon angle previously seen throughout the series.
Humorously, many have speculated that the “clever title” will most likely be a pun, such as “Resident Eightvil,” “Resideight Evil,” or “8iohazard.”
While no official confirmation has been provided by Capcom, Eurogamer reports that “sources close to publisher Capcom” have previously confirmed the first-person perspective of the upcoming sequel to the news site.