Warner Bros. Entertainment and DC Entertainment have unveiled some of their year-long celebration plans to mark Wonder Woman’s 75th anniversary.
It all starts off with a brand new commemorative logo honoring the Amazon Princess’s legacy that has allowed her to transcend the comic book pages to become a powerful global symbol of justice, equality, and peace. It will also include a relaunch of her comic book series, new graphic novels, convention panels, consumer products including apparel, toys, and other exclusive merchandise. This will all culminate with the release of Wonder Woman o the big screen on June 2, 2017.
Wonder Woman first made her appearance in October 1941 in the pages of All-Star Comics #8. She quickly became a popular character and had her very own series the next year. Her stardom grew as Wonder Woman with her metal bracelets and magic lasso took to the television screen in 1975. She also appeared in Ms. Magazine #1 in 1972. And just this year we saw her for the first time in a live action motion picture in Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice.
“Wonder Woman is a legend around the world and one of the most valuable franchises at our studio, and we’re thrilled to celebrate this anniversary,” said Kevin Tsujihara, Chief Executive Officer, Warner Bros. “Millions of fans already know her from comic books, television, and her big screen debut in ‘Batman v Superman,’ but the upcoming year building to her first solo film will be the most dynamic and exciting in the character’s history.”
As we mentioned, the first highlight to Wonder Woman’s 75th Anniversary celebration will be a commemorative logo. That logo will debut for the first time in print this Wednesday, June 22nd with the release of a brand new Wonder Woman series written by fan favorite Greg Rucka. The logo will merge the traditional “W” symbols with the number 75, set alongside a striking blue silhouette of the iconic character in a warrior stance.
“Wonder Woman has long stood with Batman and Superman in the trinity of DC’s most iconic Super Heroes, but she also stands alone as a symbol of equality, justice and female empowerment and is more relevant today than ever,” said Diane Nelson, President of DC Entertainment, President of Warner Bros. Consumer Products, and President and Chief Content Officer of Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment. “With her roots in Greek mythology and American feminism, Wonder Woman is one of the most unique and compelling characters in comic book history; her longevity is a testament to her global appeal and the special place she holds in the hearts of generations of girls who have imagined wielding their own lassos of truth.”
Other events and products for Wonder Woman’s 75th Anniversary Celebration include:
- A “Wonder Woman 75” panel at San Diego Comic-Con International in July 2016 will celebrate the history and future of the Super Hero, along with displays at DC’s booth of Lynda Carter’s original costume from the 1970s television series and numerous additional costumes, including the one worn by star Gal Gadot in the upcoming film.
- A commemorative box set of Wonder Woman’s greatest stories to be released by DC in July, as well as a hardcover special edition celebrating her 75th anniversary to be released in October and available through the holidays.
- A life-size Wonder Woman invisible jet will be on display at San Diego Comic-Con and the rare plane will illuminate at night for fan photos, along with one-of-a-kind Wonder Woman-inspired graffiti-art pieces. WBCP and Mattel will offer an exclusive anniversary DC Multiverse™ Wonder Woman Action Figure and Invisible Jet combo set (available exclusively on Mattycollector.com beginning June 17) designed especially for the 75th celebration.
- A wide range of new Warner Bros. Consumer Products licensed merchandise, including The Barbie™ Collection Amazon Princess Wonder Woman™ Barbie® Doll (available exclusively on Mattycollector.com beginning June 17), fashion and accessories from partners such as Valentino, Under Armour and Converse, luggage and backpacks from Pottery Barn, and a line of Wonder Woman-inspired beauty products available exclusively at Walgreens.
- New toys and webisodes from the recently launched DC Super Hero Girls line prominently featuring Wonder Woman, as well as an original animated movie, “DC Super Hero Girls: Hero of the Year,” coming to Digital HD on August 9 and DVD on August 23.
- Included on the home entertainment release of “Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice,” coming to Digital HD on June 28th and Blu-ray Combo Pack on July 19th, is a 22-minute featurette called “The Warrior, The Myth, The Wonder” which explores Wonder Woman’s history, origin, evolution and powerful impact on popular culture.
- Curated Spotify playlists from top female talent in music, film, TV, sports, and more. WaterTower Music and DC’s weekly playlists showcase the music that inspires these ladies to be Wonder Women in their daily lives. Listen to the first curated list from musician Brandy Clark here and follow the WW75 playlist to receive weekly updates.
- Wonder Woman returns as a major player in the upcoming video game “Injustice 2,” the highly anticipated sequel in development by NetherRealm Studios to be published by Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment in 2017.
- At long last, June 2, 2017, will see the long-held hopes of millions of fans fulfilled as the first Wonder Woman movie is released in cinemas worldwide, starring Gal Gadot in the title role, Chris Pine as Captain Steve Trevor, Robin Wright as the Amazonian General Antiope and Connie Nielsen as Queen Hippolyta, directed by Patty Jenkins.