A new rumor indicates Rian Johnson is out at Lucasfilm and Star Wars.
The rumor comes from T-Vo at Lords of the Long Box and his source the Black Knight.
T-Vo reveals, “According to several inside sources, Rian Johnson’s proposed Star Wars trilogy is dead at Lucasfilm.
He continues, “After the mixed reaction of The Last Jedi from fans, Johnson’s future with the franchise has been cast in doubt. When there is smoke, there is fire it seems.”
T-Vo adds, “Disney doesn’t want any bad publicity or controversy with The Mandalorian about to hit Disney+ that is coming in a week from today, November 12th, I believe. They don’t want any controversy with The Mandalorian about to hit Disney+ and The Rise of Skywalker in theaters in December, so they are holding off any official announcement for now.”
He then reveals that Lucasfilm and Star Wars are in a “creative rebooting pattern.”
“The company is concerned of projects straying too much from its core properties and rich history. Johnson wanted to proceed further with his distinct vision that would continue to anger older hardcore fans.”
Rumors surrounding Johnson’s exit from Star Wars and Lucasfilm have swirled since the release of The Last Jedi.
Super Bro Movies reported in February that Johnson’s trilogy was done and he would be parting ways with Star Wars in order to focus on his other projects like Knives Out.
Related: The Last Jedi Director Rian Johnson Debunks Rumor He Exited Planned Star Wars Trilogy
However, Johnson would refute those rumors on Twitter. He wrote, “No it isn’t true, I’m still working on the trilogy. With all due respect to the movie bros, who I’m sure are lovely kind bros with good fraternal intentions.”
No it isn’t true, I’m still working on the trilogy. With all due respect to the movie bros, who I’m sure are lovely kind bros with good fraternal intentions.
— Rian Johnson (@rianjohnson) February 14, 2019
However, back in May, John Campea reported that “Rian Johnson’s Star Wars trilogy appears to be dead.”
Related: Rumor: Rian Johnson No Longer Allowed To Confirm He’s Working on a Star Wars Trilogy
A separate rumor in September from WDW Pro also indicated Johnson’s Star Wars trilogy was done. That rumor also indicated that Johnson was no longer able to confirm whether he was working on Star Wars.
Related: The Last Jedi Director Rian Johnson Casts Doubt On Whether He Will Work on Star Wars Again
In October, Johnson seemed to hint that he was done with Star Wars.
When asked if he would work in the Star Wars universe again, he responded saying:
“Well, we’ll see. I’m still talking to Lucasfilm. They are figuring out what they are doing. And we’ll see what happens. I’d be thrilled if it happens. I’m working on my own stuff too.”
EXCLUSIVE: Rian Johnson says he is a Star Wars fan again! @starwars @starwars_facts @SWTheory66 #RianJohnson #StarWars #Exclusive pic.twitter.com/XoNZWdqeKQ
— BANG Showbiz (@BANGShowbiz) October 9, 2019
Johnson recently indicated that he is still in talks with Lucasfilm for the Star Wars trilogy.
He told Deadline, “We’re still engaged with Lucasfilm and we’ll wait and see. No updates on it at this moment, but yeah.”
Related: Ewan McGregor Reveals Key Details About Obi-Wan Kenobi Disney+ Series
However, as Ewan McGregor made it abundantly clear, actors and directors lie to the press all the time, especially when it comes to projects they are or are not working on.
McGregor revealed to Men’s Journal he had been lying for four years about reprising his role as Obi-Wan Kenobi.
“It’s a f****** massive relief. Because for four years, I’ve been having to lie to people about it.”
Related: Game of Thrones Creators David Benioff and D.B. Weiss Out At Star Wars
Star Wars is also in a state of flux. Game of Thrones creators David Benioff and D.B. Weiss announced they would no longer be working on their previously announced Star Wars series citing their schedule at Netflix. However, reports surfaced later that they were fired.
This came after Disney CEO Bob Iger stated Benioff and Weiss would be working on the next Star Wars film.
Related: Report: Kevin Feige’s Star Wars Movie is a Pink Slip for Kathleen Kennedy
Not to mention that Disney and Lucasfilm announced Kevin Feige would be producing an upcoming Star Wars film with speculation running rampant that he would be taking over the creative ship at Star Wars alongside his Marvel Cinematic Universe duties.
It would not surprise me if Johnson follows in Beniof and Weiss’ wake and is out at Star Wars as Disney decides to reset their creative focus for Star Wars films going forward.
What do you make of this new rumor? Do you think Rian Johnson is out at Star Wars?