PvP Leagues in Guild Wars 2 have received some major changes with the release of Season 5, which is now live. The main focus for season 5 is to provide players with a more competitive environment: accurately indicating skill level which will allow for more evenly matched competition against other players and giving more consistent rewards across the skill spectrum.
Some of the key highlights of Season 5 changes and additions include:
- PvP Leagues Rework: Leagues have been reworked in order to facilitate better matchmaking, to give a more accurate indication of an individual’s skill level, and to be more rewarding.
- Better Matches: Matchmaking will no longer factor in pips when creating matches, and will instead focus more heavily on your matchmaking rating. This will increase the pool of eligible players that you can play against, thereby improving match quality and reducing queue times.
- Measuring Skill: Skill rating is a new visible value that represents a player’s skill level for a ranked season. Pips will no longer factor into skill rating or prestige.
Rewards: League pips will now be used exclusively as a mechanism for earning rewards. You will earn varying amounts of reward pips for wins and losses.
- Personal Score & Top Stats: Personal score has been removed from structured PvP games and stats have been condensed to a more meaningful “Top Stat” system:
- Overtime: Overtime has been added to conquest. When both teams have the same score at the time limit or both teams reach 500 points simultaneously, the game will enter overtime. Overtime ends when one team score becomes higher than the other or after 5 minutes have elapsed. In the case of a timeout, the winning team is chosen randomly.