GLAAD campus ambassador Gianna Collier-Pitts set up a petition on Change.org requesting Warner Bros. make Wonder Woman bisexual.

GLAAD is a non-governmental organization whose mission statement is to “[amplify] the voice of the LGBT community by empowering real people to share their stories, holding the media accountable for the words and images they present, and helping grassroots organizations communicate effectively.”

Collier-Pitts asks “that Warner Bros. directly acknowledge Diana Prince for who she is, who she has always been (regardless of her current love interest), and what her character could potentially represent for millions of people.”

Included in her petition, Collier-Pitts writes, “Writer of Wonder Woman: Rebirth Greg Rucka even confirmed that ‘Diana has been in love and had relationships with other women.'”

Rucka elaborated in an interview with Comicosity:

Now, are we saying Diana has been in love and had relationships with other women? As Nicola and I approach it, the answer is obviously yes.

And it needs to be yes for a number of reasons. But perhaps foremost among them is, if no, then she leaves paradise only because of a potential romantic relationship with Steve [Trevor]. And that diminishes her character. It would hurt the character and take away her heroism.

Wonder Woman star Gal Gadot responded to Rucka’s statement in an interview with Variety:

It’s not something we’ve explored. It never came to the table, but when you talk theoretically about all the women on Themyscira and how many years she was there, then what he said makes sense. In this movie she does not experience any bisexual relationships. But it’s not about that. She’s a woman who loves people for who they are. She can be bisexual. She loves people for their hearts.

Collier Pitts added in her petition, “Making Wonder Woman canonically bisexual on the big screen would make her the first openly LGBTQ superhero of any gender from either DC or Marvel’s cinematic universes, and would solidify her place as a true role model for women of all ages and identities.”

She reasoned, “One of the first things I learned is that representation is power, especially in today’s society ruled by technology and social media. What we are exposed to on our televisions, in our movie theaters and Netflix queues, can have a direct correlation to how we view ourselves and the world around us.”

The petition currently has 5,369 supporters after seven days. It is attempting to reach 7,500 signatures.

Wonder Woman directed by Patty Jenkins and starring Gal Gadot grossed $819.5 million worldwide with a $411.6 million domestic haul. A sequel is already planned for the movie that will see the return of Patty Jenkins as director and Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman. Warner Bros. has slated the sequel for a December 13, 2019 release.

(Visited 3,192 times, 1 visits today)
  • DF86

    Sick.

  • Cre8rWest

    They are less than 2% of the population and yet “they” make these demands. How ridiculous is that? Logical..NO, reasonable NO, sensible no, ethics no, moral no, for the good/benefit of the other 98% ??? NO … Media frenzie fresh meat???? Yep.

  • They want recognition for a mental disorder rsther then treatment and to impose their belief system on others