A new rumor details that Noah Hawley’s Star Trek film has been rejected by Paramount.
Deadline previously reported that Hawley was working on a Star Trek film back in November, but details on the project were scarce at the time.
Related: Report: Legion and Fargo Creator Noah Hawley to Write and Direct New Star Trek Film
Hawley would provide an update on the film in January telling Deadline, “I have my own take on Star Trek.”
He added, “Going back to what I loved about the series Next Generation, when a lot of franchises focus on ‘might makes right’, Star Trek is about exploration and humanity at its best, and diversity and creative problem solving.”
Related: Noah Hawley Provides Update on His Possible Star Trek Film
He continued “There’s nothing better than that moment when William Shatner puts on his reading glasses and lowers Khan’s shields. It doesn’t cost anything. But it’s that triumphant feeling about smarting your enemy. For me it’s about to getting to those elements of the show. I don’t necessarily find action in and of itself interesting unless it’s story.”
Hawley concluded saying, “So, it’s early days, I’m still talking with Paramount and I have a take and I gotta write a script.”
Well, if this new rumor is true, Hawley’s Star Trek film is already dead.
The rumor leaked to 4Chan and subsequently shared to Twitter by Angry Mr Flibble says Hawley turned in a script, but it was “deemed ‘too’ Trekky by Paramount and has been rejected.”
4chan leaks for Star Trek 4. I’ve lost count of how many times the next movie has been announced and canned at this point. pic.twitter.com/ZGl96CHAua
— Angry Mr Flibble (@AngryMrFlibble) February 1, 2020
The rumor adds, “Paramount officials were also reportedly enraged it shared a lot of similarities to The Orville which they see as an inferior competitor that nonetheless is eating up their market share.”
The script was reportedly set in the canonical timeline and not the Bad Robot timeline. It was also expected to feature a “mostly new cast.”
As for Hawley, the rumor indicates he “has walked since he feels the whole thing is a waste of time if he isn’t allowed to direct the film he wants to make.”
The rumor concludes by indicating Paramount does not have a backup plan and that Quentin Tarantino’s Star Trek movie will not happen either.
Back in December Tarantino indicated he was moving away from Star Trek as well.
Quentin Tarantino: “I Think I’m Steering Away From Star Trek”
He stated, “I think I’m steering away from Star Trek, but I haven’t had an official conversation with those guys yet.”
He even indicated that Once Upon A Time In Hollywood could be his last movie, “In a strange way, it seems like this movie, Hollywood, would be my last.”
This isn’t the first time we’ve heard a rumor regarding Hawley’s Star Trek film being canceled.
Related: Rumor: Noah Hawley’s Star Trek Film Dead in Space
A source told us back in January that the film was also dead in the water due to a number of investors pulling out of the project.