Here’s how you evolve Gimmighoul into Gholdengo in Pokémon Scarlet & Violet, and where you can find those Gimmighoul Coins.
Paldea has opened its gates, and introduced trainers to many new Pokémon. Some of them can be quite bizarre, and have even stranger gimmicks. One of these is Gimmighoul, a Pokémon you’ll see all around Paldea, but can’t always catch.
What’s more, the Coin Chest Pokémon is capable of evolving. However, doing so requires a little time and scouring. You won’t have to quit and cash out though. Thanks to our guide, we’ll show you how to evolve Gimmighoul into Gholdengo and win the jackpot!
How To Evolve Gimmighoul
First we need to catch a Gimmighoul. It comes in two forms, and only one of them can be caught. The first is the Roaming form, and they can be found all around the region hiding in various nooks and crannies. These cannot be caught, but interacting with them will get you some Gimmighoul Coins. Keep that in mind for later.
Instead, we want to look for the Chest form which, unsurprisingly, looks like a chest. Again these are across all of Paldea, but nowhere near as plentiful as the Roaming Form.
When a Gimmighoul Chest is beaten or caught in battle, you earn some Gimmighoul Coins. Once you have built up a cache of 999 Gimmighoul Coins, level up your Gimmighoul to evolve it into Gholdengo.
Should you have picked up the maximum 999 Coins, any other coins you grab will go to an NPC in Medali. That NPC will give you coins “they” found once you go below 999, but in truth these are any coins you couldn’t hold when you hit the maximum.
Where To Find Gimmighoul Chests
Now with all of that in mind, we need to start finding those chests! When beaten, they usually drop around 30 or 50 coins, but on rare occasion it can be as high as 200, or even 777. If you’re catching a Gimmighoul, keep in mind that they cannot be shiny.
Once a Gimmighoul chest is beaten, it has a 5% chance of respawning each in-game day. An entire in game day is 1 hour and 12 minutes (30 minutes each for day and night, and 6 minutes each for morning and evening).
Here’s where you can find each and every one of them!
From north going clockwise, starting at the outer edge.
• Southwest of the Glaseado Pokémon Center, south east of the Montenevera Pokémon Center, at the mouth of the waterfall.
• West of Dalizapa Passage Pokémon Center, in some ruins.
• Atop Glaseado Mountain Watchtower.
• Atop North Province Area One Watchtower.
• Northwest of the North Province Area Two Pokémon Center, in the ruins.
• Southwest of the Fury Falls, next to the giant spike in the middle of the lake.
• Atop East Province Area Three Watchtower.
• Southeast of Levincia, atop the Watchtower.
• Northwest of East Province Area Two Pokémon Center, atop the small mountain west of the river.
• Atop the South Province Area Three Watchtower.
• Atop the South Province Area Five Watchtower.
• North of the Poco Path Lighthouse.
• South of South Province Area Two Pokémon Center, atop the unnamed Watchtower.
• Atop the Leaking Tower of Paldea Watchtower.
• Atop the South Province Area Two Watchtower.
• East of West Province Area One North, atop the unnamed Watchtower.
• Southwest of Porto Marinada Lighthouse, on a small island.
• South of Asado Desert Watchtower, on a rocky mountain.
• Southeast of Colonnade Hollow Watctower, amid ruins.
• On the path within Colonnade Hollow.
• Atop Casseroya Watchtower No. 1.
• West of The Gracia Stones, atop the mountains.
• Southwest of Casseroya Watchtower No. 2, amid ruins.
• Atop Casseroya Watchtower No. 2.
• Atop Casseroya Watchtower No.3
Where To Find Roaming Gimmighoul
The smaller Gimmighouls are also scattered around Paldea. They usually only give a single coin, but on rare occasion they can give up to 100 or 200 coins. They also have a 50% chance of respawning each day.
Here’s where you can find them all:
From north going clockwise, starting at the outer edge (keep in mind we mention several in each bullet point):
• South of the North Province Area Three Lighthouse, in the gate surrounding Team Star’s Ruchbah Squad Base that crosses the river. Another can be found to the east, on the cliffs overlook the ocean to the north. It’s on the only patch of green.
• Atop the North Province Area Three Pokémon Center. Another can also be found just south of the Pokémon Center beneath a tree. Yet another can also be found northwest of the Pokémon Center in the ruins.
• Next to a sign near Glaseado’s Grasp.
• On the northeast beach where Glaseado Mountain’s river runs into the ocean. Look at the southmost part of the beach, next to a log and old wheel. Surf to the larger island directly east of the beach to an island with Office Worker Susana, and another Gimmighoul behind the rock near her. Southwest of the beach Gimmighoul is another Gimmighoul underneath a tree on the snowy mountain.
• Behind the benches at Glaseado Gym’s Pokémon Center. Look for a sign northeast of Paldea’s Highest Peak for another Gimmighoul.
• North of Dalizapa Passage Pokémon Center. They appear underground via the nearby cave (one next to a sign, another that appears to be next to the horizontally flat rocky mountain on the minimap), and northeast on the single circle of grass as between the rocks and the snow of the mountain (this is also northwest of Team Star’s Navi Squad Base).
• One each on the other towers south of North Province Area One Watchtower. One sits at its base, the other sits on the wall at the top. Head directly west for the rocky mountain for yet another Gimmighoul on top of that. South west of the towers you’ll also find two amid the ruins (one of them on top of a pillar).
• Atop North Province Area Two Pokémon Center.
• Next to the counter of North Province Area One Pokémon Center.
• Southwest of Fury Falls. Find the lake with the spike in the middle, and follow the mountain south. You’ll find one Gimmighoul next to a spike, and another on a thin jut of grass.
• Northeast of East Province Area Three Pokémon Center. You should find a hill that spirals upwards and a cave entrance (which sometimes has a Terastalized Epson inside). You’ll find a Gimmighoul on the scaffolding there, and another on the other scaffolding to the northeast.
• Next to the crates near East Province Area Three Pokémon Center. You can find another in the most northern part of Tagtree Thicket on the wooden platforms, and three to the east of the Pokémon Center on a truck, on scaffolding, and beneath a light stand.
• On the fence near Levincia Lighthouse. There are four Gimmighoul to the north; beneath scaffolding, next to a metal box and pickaxes, on scaffolding, and next to the river mouth leading into the eastern ocean.
• Next to the sign for The Million Volt Skyline.
• South of East Province Area Three Pokémon Center. Two are next to metal crates on on top of a hill and next to a lake.
• South of Zapapico East Pokémon Center, underneath scaffolding. To the south east they’re also next to metal crates on top of the spiraling mountain with a lake in the middle, and on top of scaffolding east of that.
• Northeast of East Province Area Two Pokémon Center. You’ll find two in the ruins, one on a fallen pillar, the other atop steps.
• Atop First Floor Tower. Another can be found on the corner of the East Province Area One Pokémon Center’s tarmac.
• East of South Province Area Five Watchtower. You’ll find ruins on the plateau there, and two Gimmighoul hiding in the walls.
• Around South Province Area Three Watchtower. To the west, two Gimmighoul in the ruins. To the north, one on top of the mountains. TO the east, just north of the mountains that make an “8” on the minimap.
• Southeast of Mesagoza East Gate. One each are right by signs near cave entrances. Cross the river, and there is another sitting on the cliffs overlooking Mesagoza (almost directly south from the East Gate).
• On the sign for The Secluded Beach. Travel southwest along the beach, and another will be near the South Province Area Five Pokémon Center.
• Southeast of Grasswither Shrine, atop a rock the cliff overlooking the southern sea. West of the shrine you’ll also find a ruin with four Gimmighoul; three in the easternmost part, and one in the lone western part near a crate.
• South of Mesagoza South Pokémon Center, as the road splits east and west. There’s another atop the spiraling mountain to the east.
• Southeast of Los Platos. Under the bridge leading to the Poco Path Lighthouse, then follow the river west to a waterfall. There’s another on the “n” shaped bit of land around it. Another can be found on the cliff just below the lake east of Los Platos, and another on a rock northeast of the Inlet Grotto cave entrance. Check out the cliffs northeast of Your House for another Gimmighoul.
• Southwest of Alfornada Pokémon Center on some rocks. Another can be found on the east most tip of the thin cliff edge running along the south, and two more can be found in the ruins west of Alfornada. From the ruins, go northeast for another Gimmighoul on the cliffs, and keep going for another by the lake (on the south side where it leads into a river).
• East of the Leaking Tower of Paldea. One on the sign, one on the tower’s blocked ladder, and one to the southeast-most part of the lake, on the cliff above. Head north from the Leaking Tower to a cave entrance, and another Gimmighoul on the sign. Head west from there to the path that runs along the ocean for another behind a sign.
• Start at Cortondo Pokémon Center west. Look at the top of the western field for a wheelbarrow, and a Gimmmighoul should be next to it. Out of the three fields to the south, look for the most westerly one, and the top right corner will have another wheelbarrow and Gimmighoul. Head south across the river, and look for the east side of the mountain where a path leads to the grass, and another Gimmighoul is there.
• Under a table at South Province Area Two’s Pokémon Center. Head straight west for another Gimmighoul by a rock in the fields. From the Pokémon Center, head north past the Watchtower to find another just north of the path. Keep going for another up on the cliff by a rock southeast of the Grand Olive Orchard marker. Head to the ruins north of the marker, and look for a barrel in the west most ruin.
• Head to the Pokémon League. Check on top of the Pokémon Center, to the right of the League’s door, and next to the gate at the end of the southeast path.
• Start at West Province Area One (Central)’s Pokémon Center. Look next to the bridge over the river to the northeast. With the three windmills to the west of the Center, look on the roof of the most northern one, and just below the roof on the most southern one. Another Gimmighoul can be found on the northside of the circular mountain to the west of the windmills.
• Follow the path north of the West Province Area One (Central)’s Pokémon Center. Cross the bridge over the river to the north for one more on a sign, and one on a rock to the east of the sign (between the two windmills). Northeast of the Icerend Shrine there’s a mountain with a Gimmighoul at the top. Go north of that and look along the grass at the edge of the desert.
• Head to the unnamed watchtower to the east of West Province Area One (North)’s Pokémon Center. You’ll find three Gimmighouls in the ruins northwest, northeast, and southeast corners.
• Head northeast of West Province Area One (North)’s Pokémon Center to the cliff that cuts through the fence around the Team Star Segin Squad Base. Another Gimmighoul will be on a rock there. Check the northeast corner of the base just before the river for two more (one next to a box, the other on a rock). Another can be found next to the shop counter at Cascarrafa West’s Pokémon Center.
• Atop the Asado Desert Watchtower. Head northeast to the ruins for two more- one atop a pillar, the other beneath a small arch in a wall. In the grassy area just north of that (on top of a cliff), you’ll find three rocky peaks. One Gimmighoul is to the north of the most east peak, while another is atop the west peak.
• Start at Porto Marinada Pokémon Center. A Gimmighoul can be found on the railings on top of the lighthouse to the west. Head northwest from there to the ocean, to the two islands that are dark brown on your minimap. Each has a Gimmighoul.
• Returning to the Porto Marinada Pokémon Center, head west and you’ll find another beneath a sign near the path. Go north to the river and find another under the bridge. Follow the river to the east until you run into cliffs for two Gimmighoul, one on the south side, and one on the northside on a rock beside Casseroya Watchtower No. 1.
• Start at Casseroya Watchtower No. 2. Head west and you’ll find one on the small circular island- this is almost directly south of the Casseroya Lake (Islet) marker. Keep going west, and there’s another on the most southwest island in the lake, and two more on the island at the lake’s west edge (on the south island not connected by a bridge). They’re on the island’s south side, and underneath a tree on the peak.
• North of the The Gracia Stones, southwest of the small pond. Go northwest here to the three islands, the largest and most northwesterly has another Gimmighoul.
• East of Groundblight Shrine, go to where the snow starts- but not further than the cave entrances. A Gimmighoul should be overlooking a cliff on the north side.
• Next to the sign for Casseroya Falls. Another can be found at the start of the bridge to the northwest.